We offer this new generation of bottle mount batteries with many new features:
- bigger fixing area on the slide
- stronger material of the housing
- CNC cell holder
- custom nickel terminations for level fusing
- Smart BMS with Bluetooth and temperature control
- charge plug for up to 8A
The Shark style case is a popular choice, due to it’s small size for it’s relatively high capacity. It’s long, but sleek profile, means it can fit into most frames and it looks pretty good. 14S 52V Batteries are often used for the Bafang BBS motor and have a charging voltage of 58.8V.
This case offers some nice new features:
- The Jumbo Shark case is built and designed for 52V 5P with 70 cells, including BMS and CNC cell holder which keeps everything safe, solid and secure.
- The quality and construction of the injection moulded case has improved and offers a material thickness of ~3.3mm or more and there are numerous supports within the case, to improve rigidity and strength. The tabs on the base of the Jumbo Shark case are ~5mm thick and well supported. There are 8 of these stronger tabs and they are more evenly spaced along the entire length of the battery. The estimated charge can be seen on the LED bar and has a integrated switch. Press it for 2 seconds to turn it on and off.
- The controller case in the slider (that most do not even use) has been removed. The lockable slider is solidly constructed with metal support and has more fixing points that match most water bottle mounts. You shouldn’t have any trouble to fit it on most bikes. The slider can be used for both 4P and 5P batteries. With Anderson 45 plug for discharge and 20 cm wire.
- With custom nickel terminations every cell in the pack has level fusing. Means that in the event of a serious accident, abuse or an internal short circuit in the battery (which the BMS or pack fuse cannot protect against), then some sacrificial links will safely open, preventing any of the cells or cabling from overheating and becoming dangerous. CNC spot welding ensures consistent weld quality and weld position. Safe by design!
- A high tech Smart BMS is used, which is rated for genuine 40A continuous plus, with a over-current trip set to >60A. With the BMS you can view various battery data, such as: cell voltage levels, temperature, instantaneous charge/discharge current, capacity (genuine SOC, measured Ah and remaining Ah), data log, error indication (on matching LED panel) and it all links to your phone with a continually updated and improved App. The BMS balances during charging and therefore doesn’t require a full charge in order to balance. Auto power off function, auto power on and with a pre-charge function (no sparks, so long as the battery is powered off when linked to the controller). This 2 wire type BMS costs more (it requires more mosfets) than an equivalent 3-wire type, but it means that the battery can be safely paralleled with another equivalent battery and also means it is fully protected against over-charge in every situation (impossible with a 3-wire type BMS that are generally used in this application).
- Comes with a high current charge plug, rated for around 8A. The 2-wire type BMS can safely charged through the discharge leads as well.
- 18650 A-grade genuine cells from official sources
Jumbo Shark 52V Ebike Battery Technical Information:
- You also get a charger plug to Anderson 45 adapter with every battery
- Like with any Li Ion type battery, best long term performance is obtained by not using all of the available capacity all of the time (completely empty and full). Cycle Life is extended by charging to 90%. The 5A charger has a switch for either 90% (L) or 100% (H) charge, or choose the Satiator for even more control. This BMS doesn’t need a full charge to balance the pack, it will balance the pack also at 80 or 90% charge
- Cycle Life will be reduced if the pack is regularly used at continuous high discharge rates (BMS does have over-temp protection if the battery gets too hot and the battery temperature can be seen in the BMS App). Therefore, please match the battery pack to the rest of the kit to get the performance and long term usage you expect. Recommended Max Discharge Current for each Cell Type of the Jumbo Shark 52V Ebike Battery:
Samsung 35E: ~30A Continuous, 35-40A Max Burst Current
Samsung 30Q: ~38A Continuous, 55A Max Burst Current
Samsung 33Q: ~23A Continuous, 30A Max Burst Current
Note: the cell manufacturers specs are higher than our recommendations above. It will not harm the battery to occasionally discharge at higher levels than our recommendations, but regular, sustained high discharge rates will degrade the battery more quickly and the battery voltage will sag at these high power levels. The Battery BMS is programmed to trip if cell temperatures reach 60°C during discharge and 45°C during charging.
Realistic Capacity Specs for each Cell Type of the Jumbo Shark 52V Ebike Battery:
The conservatively capacity of the cells are 2.95Ah (Samsung 30Q) and 3.4Ah (Samsung 35E)
- Samsung 35E: 50.4V nominal, 17.0Ah, ~857Whrs. (or 52V, 17.5Ah, 910Wh with manufacturers specs)
- Samsung 30Q: 50.4V nominal, 14.8Ah, ~743Whrs. (or 52V, 15.0Ah, 780Wh with manufacturers specs)
- Samsung 33G: 50,4V nominal, 15,5Ah, ~781Whrs. (or 52V, 16,5Ah, 858Wh with manufacturers specs)
Note: the above figures are on a new battery in warm weather and at a discharge rate of ~0.5C. Cold temperatures or high discharge rates will result in reduced capacity. Capacity will degrade over time and usage. 52V batteries means 14 series of 3.7V nominal cells (14*3.7V = 51.8V), but nominal should be calculated with 3.6V, which is 50.4V nominal.
Jumbo Shark 52V Ebike Battery Weight and Dimensions:
- Dimensions: 88 mm thick, 113 mm tall, 368 mm long (see also PDF in download area for a 1:1 print)
- Weight: approximately 4.5 kg for all cell types (including slider)
We recommend to use 3 fixing points for the battery, bottle mounts on frame are not really made for this weight. You can drill one more hole in the frame with thread, use cable ties or the Bottle Bob.
Batteries must be protected against mechanical damage, overheating, short circuit, deep discharge, overloading. Charge always under observation in dry conditions. Battery isn't completely waterproof, we recommend to avoid heavy rain and high water pressure.
The Hailong case that was used for most of the Shark batteries that are in circulation, suffered from several issues:
- There is space for a controller in the Hailong Slider (that is rarely even fitted), which takes away valuable space from the battery. It also means that the slider mounting points do not align with the water bottle mounting points on most bikes (some will drill a hole through the controller and add an additional bolt, or drill a hole through their bike frame). The slider section on the Hailong is only thin plastic, with no metallic structure.
- The tabs on the base of the case and the slider (these hold the battery to the slider) are very thin on the Hailong case (~2.7mm). Also, due to the short length of the slider (due to the controller), there are only 6 tabs.
- Thin materials used throughout the case, with little supporting structure. Typically, the material thickness is ~2.8mm, which often causes a failure at the charge point holder or locker.
- The Hailong Case is designed for 13S, which is commonly referred to a 48V battery. In order to fit the additional cells to make it into a 14 series, the standard cell holder must be discarded and the cells glued together. Without the cell holders, safety is compromised and the removal of the cell holder structure, will not help with the case’s structural integrity.
- Hailong cases were generally supplied with a DC2.1 charge connector, which are rated 3A
Battery shipping isn't that easy and nearly impossible, where a plane or vessel is used. It is allot of paperwork and expensive, like 150€ more than we usually calculate. Thats why we can't offer battery shipping to places, where a plane is used.