Turn your bike into an e-bike - with Bafang motors
In addition to the normal commercial ebikes, there are lots of conversion-systems available. "Bafang" is one of the leading manufacturers in this area - both for e-components and complete systems.
Functional principle and advantages of Bafang BBS01/02/HD mid drive motors
What means mid-drive-motor?
There are 3 different ways to mount the motor, when converting your bike into an E-Bike:
- Front wheel (hub motor)
- Rear wheel (hub motor)
- Bottom bracket - in the "middle" (mid motor, mid drive motor)
Compared to hub motor, the mid drive motor doesn´t transmit the power directly to the wheel, but to the bicycle chain. This means, your rear bicycle gears can also be used with motor assist, which is not only an advantage when riding uphill. Further advantages are ideal weight distribution, low centre of gravity and a very natural riding experience. Furthermore, the front and rear wheels can still be changed without any problems.
Bafang BBS motor function is very simple: The electric motor powers the front chainring with an internal gear ratio of 22:1. An integrated clutch makes it possible, that the crank arms won´t be moved while the chainring rotates forward.
Exploded view of Bafang BBSHD Motor (BBS01 and BBS02 are the same design)
|2||Stator||13||Triangle mounting plate|
|4||Controller||15||First (inner) lockring|
|5||Housing cover, PAS disc, clutch||16||Second (outer) lockring|
|6||Gasket stator side||17||Chainring|
|7||Gasket controller side||18||Chainring screws|
|8||Gasket drive side||19||Left crank (L)|
|9||Bolt for adjustment||20||Right crank (R)|
|10||Allen screws||21||Crank arm bolts|
Bafang BBS advantages:
- Motor is very silent
- Pedaling resistance is very low, even without system operation
- Bafang BBS motors are very low maintenance
- Spare parts available and easily to change for yourself (many clips on youtube for assistance)
- Lots of system components selectable (chainrings, display, battery, ...)
Technical comparison of our 3 different Bafang motors:
|Motor||BBS01 250W||BBS02 500w||BBSHD 1000W|
|Max. Torque||80 Nm||90-100 Nm||160 Nm|
|Motor weight||3,7 kg||3,7 kg||5,6 kg|
|Battery voltage (nominal)||36V||48V / 52V||48V / 52v|
|Control||PAS-Sensor (Pedal sensor, cadence)||PAS-Sensor (Pedal sensor, cadence)||PAS-Sensor (Pedal sensor, cadence)|
|Backpedal brake possible||No||No||No|
|Gearsensor/Brake sensor connections||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Convert your bike into an ebike - but how to do?
The conversion is very easy and can be done by anyone with a little manual skill. Briefly described:
- Bottom bracket has to be removed
- Mounting Bafang motor by fixing with triangle and both lockrings
- Battery fixing on bottle holder
- Connecting the cables
In our video we have shown this in detail:
Attention: Please observe the regulations of your country if you use this drive unit on public roads and paths. If so, you have to adjust the motor settings - in particular max. power, speed and throttle - according to these regulations. The user is responsible for compliance with these regulations. Otherwise, this product may only be used on private and secured terrain!
Upgrade your bike with the most powerful mid drive electric bike kit from Bafang! Equipped with a 12fet controller with 30A and the possibility to use 14S 58,8V batteries, the motor provides 1.6 kW peak!
With this powerful and quiet motor with 160 Nm you can climb everywhere. A easy installation and the power transmission on all bike gears also allow long mountain climbs without overheating. The Bafang BBSHD Impulsis is significantly more robust than its little brother BBS02 with 30A constant power available. It has a internal gear ratio of 21.9:1, which allows higher RPMs for a better efficiency.
This motor fits to bottom brackets from 68 to 120 mm:
68 mm = 68 to 75 mm
90 mm = 75 to 92 mm (e.g. Pressfit BB92)
100 mm = 90 to 100 mm
120 mm = 100 to 120 mm
The axle size is measured without the thread. eventually you need some washers, to have a flat triangle plate.
- Fixing parts
- all the necessary cables and connectors, including a Anderson 45 wire to your battery
- speed sensor
- optional with extra connector for Gearsensor and 6V light cable with approx. 500 mA. The DPC18 display (not included) has its own light switch, which supplies power to the connector and turns a connected light on. The controller has an additional connection for the Gearsensor, so that both brake connections on the handlebar can be used. If these plugs are not used, they should be sealed, that no water can cause electronic damage. The Gearsensor isn't included.
You need a special tool for the axle, the second ring can be tighten with the bottom bracket bearing tool for Shimano, SRAM, … For the rest Allen tools are required.
We recommend the use of sensors - for example gearsensor or brake sensor.
If you want to reprogram the controller settings please use the USB programming cable.
INSTALLATION GUIDE from Luna Cycles
You can use 48V 13S and 52V 14S batteries, it doesn't work for 36V. You can set also a low voltage cutoff in the programming (40-43V).